Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Republican Debate, Winners and Losers

     I will say going into the debates last Thursday I was so excited to see what was going to happen, but I think many of us would agree it was a colossal failure.  The main event, as I like to phrase it, had too many people in it and not everyone had enough air time.  Those who were moderating it had their agenda clearly visible and it was really disappointing.  I expected more from those at Fox.  I genuinely expected them to be a group of actual journalists who would act like old fashioned journalists.  Like the days of old, before money had anything to do with how a news organization reported on anything.  Despite what Fox says it was plainly obvious who they want out, based upon the money flowing around from whatever high rolling special interest group/donor.  I was overly surprised that the final question they landed on had to deal with the candidates view on religion and God. 
     I do think Trump was slow to start and needed some more coaching, but overall he did not bomb.  The poll numbers that NBC came out with this weekend show he is still LEADING.  Watching this silly little "feud" between Megyn Kelly and Trump is beyond annoying.  All of these folks that are coming around and huddling around her coming to her defense, all I can really say to this is REALLY?  This woman was once considered by many to be intelligent, so I know she knew exactly what she was doing by asking Trump the questions she did.  If she did not expect him to bite back at her for the nonsense she was spewing, that's on her.  I would say that if it was Chris Wallace who was having this "feud" with Trump, no one would be as anxious to come to his defense.  That old expression, if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen applies here. 
     Cruz is now in second place according to the same NBC poll.  Which I am surprised, but not at the same time.  Cruz has developed that matter of fact attitude that has a lot of people supporting Trump.  Cruz was another candidate who many noted was not given a lot of air time.  I like Cruz.  I am surprised by his placement only because a number of the low information voters won't know who he is. 
     Dr. Ben Carson.  I was so incredibly impressed with him!  I was beyond excited to see how his mannerisms rewarded him with a lot of laughter and a lot of applause.  Not only does this man have a very smart mind, but his wit is going to serve him a long way in the race to the nomination.  It was refreshing and inspiring to hear his comments about race relations.  He turned out to be the second most searched candidate, and that shouldn't be a surprise. 
     Carly Fiorina was declared by many to be the winner of the debate, but she wasn't in the prime time slot.  Her thoughts about Hillary are on point.  The concept that she thinks the government should be a "citizen government" yet a lot of people have come to think that we need a "professional political class: to govern is wonderful! 
     Rubio is now listed as number five in the NBC poll, and this makes me very happy.  He wasn't and hasn't been an "attack" candidate but he is a very calm and composed man.  I saw him project himself in a professional manner on Thursday.  I like that he isn't diving head first into the media's attack on Trump, and I also like how he is making waves with his views on abortion.
     On a very selfish note, I am happy that Bush is down to sixth place!  I want Bush out of contention  This drop should show everyone that one of the reasons why he was polling so high initially was name recognition.  All of these reports that he is the candidate getting most of the donations bothers me.  This is showing me that the big interest groups want him to be their puppet so they can maintain their power hold.  That fact should bother anyone who is sick of the same old nonsense being delivered from D.C.  If he continues to decline in the polls I don't see how these high paying donors can ignore that their money will go to waste by an unelectable candidate.
     There is one fact that is undeniable.  Fox News seriously blew the debate.  Their questions, for the most part, were better phrased for tabloids.  Fox News was the loser of the first debate. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment