Sunday, July 26, 2015

Choose the One with the Backbone

     Let me begin by admitting how much of a nerd I am.  I still have the very first "I voted" sticker.  Yes, when I was 18 it just happened to be a big election cycle and I happily walked myself to the voting booth and cast my ballot.  That moment meant a lot to me.  I was able to participate in a process that so many take for granted and so many don't have the ability to do.  When I was younger, I did vote along party lines, but how the tides are turning.  If you are not careful with who you select to represent the Republican Party this coming election, you are going to be in a world of surprise when you see that you lost in spite of how much money you shelled out.  I'll elaborate.
     When you choose as a group to put someone like McCain and lose, then turn around and say Romney is going to do it for us for sure, I start to question your judgement.  Actually, a lot of us in the party questioned your judgement.  Out of all of the people in the nation, these were two of our previous picks?  Not the Romney was bad, he had some great ideas, but the demographic of voters is changing.  We as a voting population need something more than great ideas.  We need someone with a backbone.  We need someone who is going to come out and systematically break down their opponent.  One of the things that destroyed Romney was he never addressed the mud being flung at him.  He was too mild mannered.  Smart man, he knew what was going to happen with Russia, but the man was perceived as having no fire.  Which is why you're seeing Trump, and now Cruz, dominating headlines.
     I, as a voter and as an American, need someone in office who will fight to be there.  The next President needs to have more than just good ideas. This backbone, this fire I speak of, is going to be critical.  We need someone in office who will go toe-to-toe for the freedoms and values our nation holds.  Otherwise, we are going to witness a fundamental change in who we are as a people, and it won't be pretty. 
    The Republican debates are less than 2 weeks away.  Even though I am sure the core of the party, (or the core of the monetary contributors) wants Bush, you're going to continue to be surprised with the attention people like Trump and Cruz are going to get because they aren't holding back.  Don't force us to vote for some ho-hum candidate, because we'll lose.  If the thought of Trump going third party terrifies you, then you should be as equally worried about choosing the wrong candidate. The wrong candidate will take away the enthusiasm I, and most voters, have. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment