Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Day to Celebrate Mom

     Today marks my second authentic Mother's Day.  In case you wonder, it was a really nice day.  I woke up and was able to cuddle my little guy back to sleep, got even more sleep for myself. Then there was coffee, lunch, and the wonderful promise of a day at the spa.  Yes!  Today was an excellent celebration of this mama. 
     Of course, I am the mom I am today because of my mom, my aunts, sister... basically because of everyone in my family AND the friends I have.  If there is one very true statement, I did not ever really understand until I had baby Jameson is that it really does take a village to raise a child. 
     The first time I heard that statement, I was a teenager and it came from the mouth of Hillary Clinton.  Surely she had to be wrong, because if she says it, then it can't be true.  Alas, I am adult enough to admit and know that there is a point there.  I am willing to admit that it is going to take a good number of people other than myself and my husband to help mold baby Jameson into a great man.  He's going to need love and support of his parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, teachers, coaches... he is going to need a strong community behind him. 
     He'll need guidance when he doesn't know what fork in the road to take.  He will need a good solid kick in his pants when he isn't working to his fullest potential.  There will be the times where he will need to have a softer hand to wipe his tears and offer comfort.  One of the things I am not looking forward to is explaining to him why certain people are mean to him for no reason; that is going to suck, but he'll have a good solid base around him because that is what every kid needs. 
     I am amazed at the parents I see now.  They aren't the push-overs we have seen a lot of.  They are not the over-bearing/mind controlling types.  I am seeing parents like the parents that we had growing up.  You could have freedom within reason, but watch out if you abuse that trust.  I do believe that it is going to be baby Jameson's generation that is going to bring us all back from the brink of this nonsense train we are witnessing.
     I think that so many parents before me were too young to have their children, and their biggest goal was to be their friend and not the parent, so some basic ideals went by the wayside.  I believe that those who are bringing up their children now have the best of all examples of parenting; and I honestly see some great role models these kids can look up to again.  It's a great time to be a parent!  There are so many tools at our disposal. 
     Heaven knows how much pressure we put on ourselves as parents, and I don't think that those insecurities will ever go away, but the best advice I can offer is to live in the moment.  These moments go by far too quickly. 
     Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment